Thursday, June 4, 2009

Trip to Anchorage Day 6

After last night in a cozy warm bed, I set off in hopes that I would make it back to God's country, the USA. One of the cool things I saw along the way is the signpost forest, which has signs from town all across the globe, placed there by travelers of the ALCAN. I also got some great pictures of the St. Elias Mountains as I traveled north about 50 miles from the Pacific coast.


It was today that I started to feel the wrath of the notorious Alaska mosquitoes. These mosquitoes are actually much slower, bigger and dumber than their southern counterparts, but there are literally hundreds per sq ft! Every time I would get out of the car to take a break or get gas, I was bombarded by thousands of these guys. I soon put on my hoodie and socks so that I didn't have to deal with them on my feet or neck.

At about 8 pm Alaska time, I got to Tok (rhymes with smoke), Alaska, without any trouble through the border patrol. I was glad to be back to the much lower gas prices (still 3 bucks). I will make camp soon and make it to Anchorage tomorrow.

One thing I discovered in Tok is that my computer decided to completely die on me. This is even worse than it seems because it had the number of the guy that I'm supposed to live with this summer. Unless I fix my computer, I will have no chance of getting in touch with him. If I can't get it fixed, then I will have to wait until Adam gets worried and calls me. We'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment