Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mayor's Marathon

Today I ran the Mayor's Marathon. Okay, not the whole thing, just part. They had options where you could just do part. I don't think that I would have difficulty doing a marathon right now, if I went slow enough, but I don't like running six miles, much less 26.2. I'll ride my bike incredibly long distances to feel accomplished. I also went on a 30 mile bike ride today, so overall I burned around 4000 calories. But it's not over....

This afternoon I did rest and watched Warren Miller movies, which is this guy that films skiers doing incredible things. A lot of the shots he does are in my backyard, Girdwood, which arguably has some of the best heli-skiing in the world. Or so the Alaskans say.

Tonight is the solstice! Hoorah. To Texans, this is not a big deal, but to Alaskans it's a huge party. I will partake, Alaskan style of course, by climbing one of the tallest mountains in the area (Flat Top) and then hanging out until the sun sets! The idea is that by going to altitude you can see the sun just a little bit longer. This is a bittersweet moment, because we are in the middle of summer, which brings relative warmth (highs of 70 deg), but now for the rest of the year, the sun comes out less and less.

I really want to swim and get some sun. I have seen some of my friends' pictures on Facebook, sitting out at the pool and getting a tan. No such luck here. I suppose I could always jump in Cook Inlet- for about 30 seconds before I start to get hypothermia. Maybe I can find an indoor pool with UV radiation lamps. As Warren Miller says, "You better do it now, or you'll be one year older when you do."

No comments:

Post a Comment