Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Trip to Anchorage Day 5

Day 5 is the day that I got into the Canadian Rockies. They are spectacularly beautiful. Another amazing thing is the expansive forest that I traveled through right before I hit the mountains. It was the southern end of the Boreal forest, which holds 1/3rd of the world's trees and circumnavigates the globe.


Picture of me in front of a glacially-fed lake (green colored)

I also saw an incredible amount of wildlife today. In about 3 hrs, I saw four black bears! Also, I saw a moose and lots of bison. I managed to catch a few pictures as I drove by. I also got a movie of what I thought at the time was a moose, but upon further investigation, I see that it is a caribou. So ignore when I yell out "MOOSE" at the end of the movie. (See below.)

The best picture I could get of the bear. (He was fast!) The bison couldn't care less that I was taking pictures of them.

Most of the day's driving was very winding and steep with lots of glacier lakes and beautiful mountain that still had most of their snow. It rained a lot today, but in between rainstorms, I was rewarded with expansive and brilliant views. The temperature barely got out of the 40's and for a while it actually snowed on me! Needless to say, I decided to stay in a hotel tonight because I didn't feel like camping in the snow. Tomorrow, I will make it back to the USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment