Thursday, June 18, 2009

Racing in Anchorage

I went out to my first Alaskan race today. It was great!! It was a TT on Fort Richardson, which is a US AMRY and Marines bases. My TT skills were definitely lacking because I have been going on 80+ mile rides at low intensity. Plus in general, I don't like TT's. I like the game that you play when you are in a large peloton or breaking away from said peloton. But it was fun to say the least.

Racing definitely got my competitive spirit going again. My drive for riding was starting to wane, but one good race and I'm back in it 100%. I guess I just love the competitive drive aspect of sports, biking in general. Also the friendships gained on rides are priceless.

I also thought that I might be better than everyone here because their season starts in May and goes to September, while Austin cycling season is pretty much year round. This is simply not the case. I forgot about cross-training with cross-country skiing! There are some fast guys up north, and there will be some great competition for me.

The next race is on Saturday, which is also the summer solstice. The plan is to race in the morning/afternoon, and then climb Flat Top Mountain to watch the sun set at 12:30 am. Should be fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment