Thursday, June 4, 2009

Last Day of the trip to Alaska

Today I made it to Anchorage around 1 pm. Adam had not called me yet, so I tried all day today to find a computer store with no real luck. Finally I found a hole-in-the-wall place that could open up my email and I got Adam's number and quickly called him. I could hardly believe that I was at the end of my 7 day journey to Alaska. I was blessed with great weather coming into Anchorage, but all I really wanted to do was sleep. And I certainly did not want to drive anywhere for a long time. It is now Saturday and I start work on Monday. At 21 stories tall, the Conoco-Phillips building is the tallest building in Alaska. I was told I was working on the 13th floor (lucky!) with great views of the town and surrounding mountains and bay.

As I drove around Anchorage, one of the things that really surprised me were the huge tides that go in and out of the bay just west of the city. When I saw it , the tide was going out. Fast. I was watching from a bluff about 50 ft up from the water, but as the water passed me I could seea wall of water about 3 ft high rush past at about 10 mph. During a full moon the tide can form a wall of water 6 ft high! When the tide is out, it leaves behind a giant mudflat that can be very dangerous. Someone told me that last year, a small girl ventured out into the mudflats and was never found. Needless to say, I think I will just watch the tide from the bluffs.

Tomorrow, I hope to go bike riding. It will be simliar to riding in Austin during the winter, with temperatures around 50 degrees. One cool thing is tha the sun will not set until about 3 in the morning, so there is plenty of time to go as far and as long as I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment