Monday, June 15, 2009

Casual Ride .... Maybe still interesting?

I went on a ride today that was pretty interesting. Of course, it rained.... again. I am getting used to the rain though. In Austin, I would never ride in the rain. I think I did it once. It rains so seldom that you can just wait for a nice day. Here it rains every other day at least, so you would never get any training in if you didn't want to be in the rain. Actually, today I didn't even expect it to rain, but sure enough it did. When I get back to Texas this Fall/Winter, I imagine I will be able to ride through anything.

I saw ANOTHER moose today. Actually, just about every time I go biking I see at least one moose. At first I thought this was really cool to see such a large animal, but actually they are quite annoying. This one was a bull that had just started to grow antlers and was straddling the trail. There was no feasible way that I was going to get around. I sat there pondering what to do for a couple of minutes until another biker screeched to a halt behind me. He said he knew another route and so I followed him around for a while, which was aggravating because A: he went incredibly slow, and B: he insisted on riding on the sidewalks, which I abhor. It's a sideWALK, not a sideride. That's called a bike lane. But no matter.

Not so paved..........


My goal today was to combine two routes that I really have grown to like. One kind of hard to get to, but I figured I could find a way around. I looked on Google Earth to try to find unmarked paved paths and/or roads and... was successful! On GoogleEarth, you can plainly see a path, or something, that connects the two roads. So I set out on my journey. Come to find out, the 'road/path' was not as paved as I thought. It was actually a dirt trail. HUH. Well I had no other option so I just went down this path on my road bike. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. So yeah. With the rain, though my bike got really dirty. Oh well, I guess I'll have to clean it again!

Not long after I hit the dirt, I wasback on the pavement and the rest of the ride went smoothly. And Wet.




I thought this sign was hilarious. Don't see many of these in Texas.....

No comments:

Post a Comment