Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Table to Bike Rack FTW


Safety First.



A couple days ago, I went to my friends Kyle and Joseph's house for a cycling officer's meeting. Upon entering their abode, I was stunned by their glorious bike rack that bookended their big-screen tv in their living room. I was taken aback, and inspired. When I got home, I was determined to build a bike rack similar to theirs, to solve the problem of my bikes being sprawled haphazardly around my garage. Ryan, one of my roomates, helped.

We started by going to Walmart and buying heavy-duty hooks to hang the bike from the wall. We soon discovered that it is almost impossible to find the studs in our house. After using a razor and banging on the wall for half an hour, we finally just started nailing nails into the wall hoping to find the stud. This was a disaster.

We also reasoned that the bikes would be too far apart if we were confined to placing one at each stud. Therefore, we concluded that we needed to nail a piece of wood on the wall, from which we could hang the hooks, and respectively, the bikes. We did not have the foresight to buy a 2by4 at Wally World, so we decided to use wood that we could find around our house. Ryan suggested a fence post that had fallen off our fence last week. Too thin. Then we decided that the best piece of wood was a leave from a table that we had found near the honors quad freshman year. We unscrewed the leave from the main part of the table and soon had it nailed up on the wall. It worked perfectly! The bikes were up and hanging neatly from the wall within two hours. Win, Upson House. Best thing about it, we covered up all the nail holes.

hybrid, commuter, race, and mountain (L to R)

No comments:

Post a Comment