Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Would you look at the time.....

I am slowly getting tired of riding the bus to school. I live about 3 miles from campus and ride a bus five days a week to and from classes. At the beginning, I had no problem riding the bus. Saving the environment, right? Don’t have to pay for gas, right? It’s just as fast as driving yourself, right? Not always. It’s nights like tonight where I tire of the Lake Austin Bus Route.

I got done with church at 9:00pm and left the union in the pouring rain, which is another thing I am growing weary of. After a 5 min walk to the bus stop, I was greeted by one person standing under the shelter. This is a terrible sign. One person means that the bus had recently come by the stop, and had already left. In the evenings, the bus only runs every 30 minutes, so I had some time to wait.

I tried to strike up a conversation with the girl standing next to me out of boredom, but she awkwardly walked away after a minute or so of me commenting on the beauty of lightning. I guess she thought I was hitting on her. Her rejection of conversation did not surprise me, as most people that ride my bus route are married grad students, who seem very set in their ways and not interested in undergrads who still have hopes and dreams.

9:30 pm rolled by and I began to wonder what was going on. As my boredom and imagination take hold of my thoughts, I am convinced that the rain has caused an accident, and that the bus will take hours to get back to campus. At 9:45, my impatience takes over. “I wonder where the bus is?” turns to “ Where the F*%^ is the F(#*$(%$ BUS?!” I have things to do. People to see. Homework to accomplish. Bike trainers to ride. I’m wet. Cold. Starved. Wasting away. Over-exaggerating? Of course. But in all seriousness, the bus needs to get here. I pass the time by bouncing up and down and playing with the puddles nearest my feet. It could be worse though.

Solace! The bus has finally come! Time to be home…. By 10:15. Homework time!

So that’s why I’m tired of the bus. I need to learn some patience, but really, who has time for that? What I really need is a helicopter.

No comments:

Post a Comment