Friday, March 19, 2010

Spring Break!!!

Since the DFW Road Race on Sunday, I have been in Red River, NM, relaxing and skiing for spring break. I brought my bike, not knowing whether I would have good enough weather to use it or not. As we were driving in to the cabin, it was snowing huge flakes.

The first day we cleared off the snow from the walkway to the front door. This was harder than I originally thought, as the snow had piled up to almost 4.5 ft in some places! Ally and I took all afternoon to clear it, but finally dug out a path to the road.

Tuesday morning could not come soon enough, as I was ready to ski! Ally and Isa were apprehensive at first, so I went up the mountain by myself while they stayed on the bunny slopes. The slopes were in the best condition I had ever seen. Usually Red River doesn’t get that much snow, but this year there was plenty and all the runs were open. Even the moguls on the blacks didn’t have ice in the bottom of them due to some snow they had gotten right before we got there.

One afternoon, Ally and I built a snow cave near the cabin! It was big enough for both of us to crawl into, but there wasn’t much room to move around.

Riding my bike was definitely interesting, as the high altitude was not good for huge efforts. Just a little work and I was breathing heavily. It was fun to do some long climbing though, so I didn’t really care that it wasn’t the best training. In effect, I have taken a little over a week break from hard training, and feel fully recovered and very motivated to put in some hard work before the end of the collegiate race season!

No comments:

Post a Comment