Sunday, October 18, 2009

Texas OU Weekend

Last weekend was Texas Ou weekend, and so I was in Dallas and Garland to watch the game. We drove up Friday evening and had dinner with my parents. Mom cooked grandmother's stew and had lots of good fruit as well. Erik, Stark, Ryan and I gorged ourselves until we couldn't eat anymore. Ryan wasn't planning on eating because he had already had two dinners that day, but indulged anyways. Afterward, we went over to my grandma's old house, where we would spend the night.

After changing, we met up with Ingrid, Erik's sister. She was having a house party, and was very nice, a great hostess! After much merriment, we crashed early back at grandma's house.

The next morning, I made waffles for everyone, and we left about 9:30 am for the 11 am game. I thought it would be a great idea to take the DART light rail. It is fast and efficient, and would take us straight to the fair. The only problem was, that half the people going to the game thought the exact same thing. Train after train was completely packed! There were people crammed so tightly, that none of us could find a spot! It took almost 2 hours before we got the game. By that time, it had already started, so we missed kick-off.

Texas won! Way to go! I think the offense did not play outstanding, but the defense definitely wrecked.

After the game, we were famished and decided to get a famous Fletcher's corn dog. Everyone else seemed to want one too..... The line was enormous and everyone seemed to be okay with cutting to the front. I almost had to pull two old men apart because they were fight about who was and who wasn't in line for corn dogs. They were fighting over corn dogs! They were good though after 45 minutes of waiting. After eating, we went to the car show, which, in my opinion, is the only good reason to stay at the fair.

When were getting ready to leave, we saw this huge line of people waiting for something. I asked a guy what they were waiting on and he said the train. You have got to be kidding me. Our only way back to the cars was a two hour line for the train. We decided to take a cab. So did everybody else at the fair. A cab was impossible to find. We walked out of the fair and into one of the shadiest parts of Dallas. I called my mom and asked her to come pick us up. A cop stopped and asked why we were sitting around. He said this is a pretty bad neighborhood and should probably go back to the fair if it got dark before our ride got here. I guess he thought that someone was going to jump us!

We finally got home safely to our cars and back to grandma's house. We showered and went to Emily Snow's house, where everyone except Nick and I were staying for the night. Nick and I had to be back for church in Sunday morning, so we drove back home and got to Austin about 12:30 am or so.

All in all, a fun weekend, but waaaaay too many people! If I ever go again, I think I'll have a helicopter drop me from a rope to my seat and then come rescue me out of the stadium after the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment