Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hammerman Triathalon

This last weekend I did a tri! But, I'm lazy so I did it as a team. My friend Libby swam, I biked, and Megan ran. This was an xTerra tri, so instead of road biking and running, you have mountain biking and trail running, which makes it much more hardcore. The swimming leg is still swimming, they haven't found a way to make that out of water yet.

Libby swims for Colorado School of Mines, and totally rocked the swim. She is usually a sprinter, but made it out of the water near the front. She gave it her all, and was definitely delirious coming out of the water. I yelled for her to come tag up, and she stumbled over and tagged me.

I started running to the mount zone, where I could get on my bike. A this point, we were second in the team category from what I could tell. The biking was a hard course! Half of it is on cross-country ski trails and half is on pretty technical singletrack. I hadnt done a mountain bike race since last fall, so I was excited to see how I did. I got passed by a couple of really good bikers, one of which ended up winning the whole thing. I was wishing a had a full suspension bike because Anchorage singletrack has a lot of roots due to how shallow the root system of trees here is. I fell on some really quick and blind corners, but had a serious amount of fun on the trails! I finished the 13 mile courses in just over an hour, and tagged up with Megan.

Megan did well on the 4 mile trail run course, but there were some serious runners in our field. We ended up 6th (I think)! I was really pleased with our result and had a lot of fun doing it. If I move to Anchorage, I think I will have to get into Tri's even though my Texas Cycling buddies will make fun of me.......

I forgot my camera, so no pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment