Sunday, May 24, 2009

First Day to Anchorage

Well the summer has officially begun because I started my seven-day journey to Anchorage, Alaska. I am going to Anchorage for a summer job and lots of cycling, backpacking, and fishing. The main reason for starting this blog is to document my summer in Anchorage, but I plan on keeping the blog after I get back.

So actually as I am writing this, it is the second day. The first day I drove to Farmington, NM, which was about a 15 hour drive from Dallas. This was definitely the longest drive I have made in one day, and I have 6 more days of driving to go. The drive, mostly through extremely flat parts of Texas was uneventful and boring, making it a little hard to stay awake. I listened to books on tape because it's interesting and it's like someone is there talking to me. I stayed with my friend Dave, who lives in Farmington. It was good to see him again and chat about how life is going. I went to bed early because the plan is to drive to Moab, Utah tomorrow and do some mountain biking.

It's amazing how far Anchorage is. Over 4000 miles. Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is half way. This means that the last half of the trip will be spent in Canada, mostly in the Yukon Territory. My plan is to drive about 9-10 hours a day and get a bike ride in every day to break up the monotony of driving. Wish me luck!

1 comment: